She hugs us when we need it most, she trains us to face life, she's a counselor, a chef, a taxi driver, a nurse, she's everything we need her to be right when we need it. She's Mom. It only seems right that we take a day to celebrate everything our moms do for us. Need some ideas on how to express your appreciation? Here are just a few:
- Write up some coupons offering your services to Mom. For example: feeding the animals, folding laundry, cleaning your room (without being asked!), dusting, loading/unloading the dishwasher after a meal, dusting, scrubbing the toilet, taking out the trash, raking leaves, etc. Fold them up and stick them in a fancy box or decorative jar.
- Most women love fresh flowers. Get a fresh bouquet from the florist or give her a potted plant she could put in her garden. Potted herbs are also great. Have you seen the price of fresh herbs at the grocery store? Expensive! You can give her potted herbs for a fraction of the cost, and they'll grow throughout the summer months. Fresh basil paired with ripe summer tomatoes and fresh mozzarella cheese is yummy!
- Personalize cards to Mom with the kids' handprints, special notes, stickers, drawings, etc. Homemade cards are extra special when Mom looks at the cards 20 years later. When the kids are grown, it's precious to see their scratchy handwriting and misspelled words.
- Take a note from Tracey, Mike and Dave and write and/or sing an original song that will touch Mom’s heart. Did you hear the winners' reactions of TMD's "TheBombMom.com Mother's Day Serenade"? Tears! It warms a mom's heart when you take time out to express your love for her.
- Have the kids pull their allowance together, Dad throws in some extra $$$, and put the money in a fancy envelope that says "Mom's FUN Money." Give Mom the day off and tell her to do what she wants, go wherever she wants, and have FUN! When Mom comes home from her day of fun, make sure to have dinner made and the kids/Dad take care of the dishes.
- Give mom a special treat of a massage, manicure, new hair-do, etc., either at home or send her to the spa!
- Cheerios ground into the floor mats, french fries wedged into the back seat cushions, and who know what else is in the mini-van? Detail Mom's car. It'll make her feel like she's driving a new car. Don't forget to hang air freshener from the mirror!
- How about some pre-made meals? When things get hectic around the house, all Mom has to do is reach into the freezer and pull out a meal that you've already made, pop it in the oven/microwave, and dinner's done.
She’ll love the time you take to put any of these gift ideas together. Remember to give her a hug & tell her you love her! Have an idea of your own? Share it with others in the comments section!