Friday, December 16, 2011

God Won't Give Us More Than We Can Handle...Or Will He?

‎"God won't give me more than I can handle."

It's a popular saying that I've said many times and no doubt you have too. While it sounds good, I believe it's wrong. Why? Because the implication is that God is walking alongside me as *I* shoulder the burden.

Here's a thought:

...Do you really think Mary could handle finding out she was a virgin about to give birth to the Son of God?

...Or that Moses could handle leading the Israelites out of slavery?

...Or Daniel could handle the pressure of prison and sitting in a pit with lions?

...Or Noah could handle being ridiculed by neighbors for building a boat and gathering every animal on the planet when he didn't even know what rain was?

God put these people - and so many more! - in positions and places and situations they couldn't handle on their own. Why? So His power could be shown in their weakness and that more could be brought to Himself through their example as they let Him lead. You weren't meant to handle it on your own. You were meant to be a portrait of His grace.

So... where exactly does that leave you when you're sitting in the middle of a mess?

It leaves you right where God needs and wants you. As you're going through it, God PROMISES that HE will handle it.

"When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." - Isaiah 43:2-3a

Be strong and ask God how you can give Him the glory in your struggle. Maybe the struggle you're feeling right now is because you haven't done that yet. That's typically how it works for me. There's a sweet release that happens when I invite God into the problem and take my hands off of it. I know it sounds tough, but you can do it, and you will be rewarded for it.

--Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts - we love it when you do!

~ Jack & Erin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...