Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Resurrection Rolls - An Easy Way To Tell The Easter Story


Here's a fun and hands on way for your children to learn the story of the Resurrection. All you need to make Resurrection Rolls are some basic ingredients and a Bible.


Resurrection Rolls

1 package crescent rolls
8 large marshmallows
2 TBLS melted butter
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar (mix 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon together for homemade cinnamon sugar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper (it will make clean up soooo much easier!).


Give each child a triangle of crescent rolls (you'll want to flatten the wide end slightly).
The crescent roll represents the cloth that Jesus was wrapped in.


Give each child a marshmallow.
This represents Jesus and His purity.


Have your child dip the marshmallow in melted butter.
This represents the oils of embalming.


Roll the buttered marshmallow in the cinnamon and sugar.
This represents the spices used to anoint the body of Jesus.


Wrap the coated marshmallow tightly in the crescent roll by folding up the sides to seal the marshmallow up tight.
This represents the wrapping of Jesus' body after death.


Place in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. The marshmallow may ooze out the side!
The oven represents the tomb (pretend like it was 3 days and nights!)


While the rolls are baking, you can read Matthew 27:57-61 and Matthew 28:5-8.


When the rolls have cooled slightly, the children can open their rolls (cloths) and discover that Jesus is no longer there. HE IS RISEN! The marshmallow melts and the cresent roll is puffed up, but like the tomb - IT IS EMPTY!

13 comments:

  1. I am SOOO going to do this tonight for Children's Church! I am leaving the office early so I can get to the grocery store! The kids will LOVE it!!!! Thanks, guys! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I passed this onto my adult children to help teach their children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Sunday school teacher of the Toddler class. I am going to do this on Easter Sunday for my class. This is a wonderful idea! Thanks and God bless! Denise Boyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard someone talking about this the other day, but missed what to include in baking it and how they all relate to the story. Thank you soooo much for posting this! Happy Easter!
    Kari R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is way, way cool. We are so doing this Friday night or Saturday before they dye their eggs so they remember the true story behind Easter. Thanks a million for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT! I'm sending my daughter the link so she can do it with her little guy (well, he's my little guy too, but you know what I mean) =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful idea!!! I just know you were "inspired" to do this one! I've passed it on to my church! Thank you! Easter Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made my hand go up when I got to the end of the proceedure...Oh praise God..It really blessed me..thank you!! Sunday School is going to be Great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so, like Jesus is a marshmallow?
    just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous - like, wow, yup! Resurrection Rolls are clearly a teaching tool for a parent to use as aid to sharing the Gospel with their children. At such a young age, children don't fully grasp the truth of the resurrection. This is a fun, hands-on, family activity that's designed to communicate the Gospel story. As you can see from the above responses, families (and churches) are spending time with one another learning about the Gospel. I'm pretty excited to see families making memories and learning about Christ...!

    Blessings,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Rolls are great. Used them for a Good Friday VBS for several years, Make sure your rolls are pinched closed tightly so the marshmallow will melt completely.
    cs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much. It is not just for children. I am a new christian at 48 and my dear friend at church, in her 70's, and I did this. It made for a wonderful and very blessed day with friends. We did the yeast roll version so it did take all day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts - we love it when you do!

~ Jack & Erin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...