Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Key Lime Pie

We like to celebrate birthdays here at SHINE-FM! We used to celebrate every birthday with cake, but as we've grown in staff so did the amount of birthdays. Funny how that works. Now, we all sign a card and surprise the person with a special rendition of Happy Birthday. I say "special" because you never know who will decide to sing harmony...or sing off key on purpose.

Today, we had a special celebration because one of our staff members turned 50! This person is a lime fan, so I made a couple of key lime pies. Jack couldn't make it so we saved this last slice for him.

When I was in Key West, Florida, key lime pies by a guy named Kermit were the thang. Kermit's pies were everywhere...served by the slice, dipped in chocolate, you name it, it was there. And it was DELICIOUS. I searched online and wouldn't you know...I found a copy cat recipe. This pie tastes just like the one I had in Key West...and you don't even have to go anywhere. I do recommend eating this outside in the sunshine though. It'll give you the full Florida effect :-)

Kermit's Key Lime Pie

1 9in prepared graham cracker crust (I used Keebler's Ready Crust)
2 14oz cans sweetened condensed milk
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup key lime juice (I used Nellie & Joe's Famous Lime Juice )

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix sweetened condensed milk with egg yolks.

Add key lime juice and finish blending.

Pour into piecrust.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Cool pie 20 minutes before refrigerating.

Serve chilled pie with whipped cream!

Serves 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts - we love it when you do!

~ Jack & Erin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...